Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Requiem for the projects I will not be completing

There are two types of projects: the ones we finish and the ones we don't.

Like all these jokes, this is both an oversimplification and a truth. We all have projects that sound so good in the abstract but somehow never get completed. Or even started. The ones we carry around like baggage: Someday I'm going to... The ones that nag at us with their presence. The dreams in our head that clutter the path for the projects that we can complete.

So this post is my chance to send some of these projects on their way and thank them for coming. I've upgraded the storage and work surfaces in my studio and while I have lots more space than I did, I only have room for the projects I will actually do. Here is what I'm sure is only the first list of projects that I won't be completing.

Project: Stitched, woven basket out of newsprint paper.

Why I like it: Trash to treasure. This is a major theme of many of my projects and interests. The whole Yankee thing of using what you have to fill a need. And cute storage, ta boot. How cool would it be to have awesomely useful baskets made from IKEA packaging I already had on hand! So tempting! 

Why it won't work: I just have no need for that kind of storage right now.

And so it goes: this project may come around again, but for now, I'm letting it go.

Project: Baskets made from rolled magazines/IKEA instruction manuals/catalogs.


Why I like it: Trash to treasure, cute storage, stuff on hand.

Why it won't work: Sure, I could make all my studio storage out of this stuff. I need boxes for all the cubbies of my new storage system. But stuff needs to be stored by next week and I have a family to take care of and a house to clean. So it's purchased boxes for me.

And so it goes: Life as a parent and person who loves magazine subscriptions mean that I'll always have a ready supply of material for this one. Maybe someday the stars will align and I'll be ready to do it. Perhaps when my daughter goes off to college in 10 years we can make things from all those school brochures.


Project: Bowls made of shredded magazines/IKEA instruction manuals/catalogs.

Why I like it: Trash to treasure, cute storage, stuff on hand. (At least I'm consistent.) Back when I was running the catalog fundraisers at my daughter's school, I was tempted to create beautiful art from all the extra catalogs, envelopes and papers. So very Pinteresty and a sly kick at the fundraisers that encourage you to buy overpriced junk to support your child's public education. Never happened. I'm sure I could use an attactive bowl on my bookshelf/dresser/coffee table. [Oooh! I do need a bowl for my night table.] [Ahem!] [Sigh.]

Why it won't work: time and need. Night table bowl notwithstanding.

And so it goes: Yep, this one won't quite die yet. A bowl is a small project. Maybe it will get done during summer craftiness. But it's last on the list. I have bigger fish to fry.


Project: Alabama Chanin clothing

Why I like it: These clothes are stunningly beautiful. I enjoy hand embroidery and the idea of sewing a garment entirely by hand. And I like the idea of a long-term project like this for trips.

Why it won't work: As beautiful as these clothes are, they're not my style. An they're an enormous amount of work. I think a car/plane project should be something I'm capable of finishing in a season. Something small that will fit in a carry-on bag. Plus I just can't seem to get around to buying supplies for a project and the kits are more than I'd like to pay.

And so it goes: I do love hand sewing so I will probably use the patterns as inspiration in other projects.

Project: A memory quilt made out of my daughter's old clothing

Why I like it: I've been saving my favorites of my daughter's clothing for years in the hopes of making a memory quilt. (But stay tuned, I'm learning and will be teaching a couple of classes at the Sew-op this year.)

Why it won't work: Great idea but lots of knits. And all are so different it's tough to work them all in to one quilt. And it's a big project for a first quilt. Maybe I will work bits into future quilts so each quilt I make has a little piece of my daughter's babyhood but no designated memory quilt. (oooh, that's actually a great idea... Sort of a signature... Always in the same place. Hmmmm.)

And so it goes: I've got a plan now for all those baby clothes and I think it will be a nice way of spreading around the memories.


So there's my list. Say your own farewells to projects in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment