Friday, April 4, 2014

UV Craft Challenge 1

photo credit: LexnGer via photopin cc

Welcome to the UV Craft Challenge. We were inspired by Just Crafty Enough's Iron Craft challenges to create our own. Here at Upper Valley Fiber Crafts we'll be hosting a monthly challenge for anyone to join in. Sometimes there will be a theme and sometimes there will be a specific craft. We'll post our own interpretations of the challenge here at the blog and at the end of the month we'll have a round-up for you to show off your project.

So let's get started! April's UV Craft Challenge theme is fiddleheads. Fiddlehead ferns are a big Upper Valley tradition. One of the first signs of spring is seeing fiddleheads in the grocery stores and on restaurant menus. I'm not a fan of eating them, but I like the classic spiral shape and the fresh green color.

The spiral shape of a fiddlehead is an easy place to start for inspiration. Here's a coiled coaster project from Two Shades of Pink. And here's one made from denim scraps. Here's a pillow cover with spirals made from tee shirts.

The Koru is a Maori symbol inspired by the spiral of the New Zealand Silverback fern.

Here's a beautiful mitten pattern from Hello Yarn called the Fiddlehead.

I can't find the original image on the blog, but here is a pin of a stunning quilt with fiddleheads. I could see an embroidery piece being inspired by this.

We'll be posting our own ideas for this challenge. Post a comment if you will be following this challenge. I can't wait to see what you come up with.


2 comments:

  1. I made a few crochet things with a fiddlehead-y shape and wrote about them on my blog. I have a better idea, though, and will be back before the end of the month with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay: the better idea. I just blogged my fiddlehead bag.

    ReplyDelete